11. Northwood House
Northwood House was built in 1914 on the site of two thatched cottages by Benjamin Rea (of Cresswells) for Ombersley’s sub-postmistress, Orinthia Castledine, as a post office and home for herself and her brother, Arthur. Orinthia moved to become sub-postmistress of Ombersley from Ross on Wye at some time prior to 1901 and died there in 1939.
Key to the photos
- Thatched cottages in right foreground demolished prior to Northwood House being constructed on the site in 1914
- Ombersley Post Office on left prior to 1914
- Construction of Northwood House including space for relocation of Post Office, August 1914. Note flag flying next to chimney, raised to mark declaration of war. The man in centre of 3 on scaffold is Mr Rea of Cresswells, who built Northwood House
- Northwood House, including operating Post Office, possibly dated 1917
- Re-roofing of Northwood House in 2013, staged to reflect photo 3
Clicking the button below will open a PDF document containing detailed information on this property.